Agriculture | April 07, 2016
Stock containment funding too late for some
The Nationals Member for Lowan, Emma Kealy MP believes round two of stock containment funding has come too late to help many drought affected food producers.
Stock containment areas enable farmers to fence off a designated area of the farm to hold, feed and water livestock in tough conditions such as drought and bushfire.
“Many farmers have already destocked their farms or have gone ahead with building stock containment areas after the first round was oversubscribed,” Ms Kealy said.
“Although these farmers were told they would be eligible for the second funding round, they have now been informed they cannot apply for the extra funding.
“The Premier must ensure that people who have built stock containment areas since the first round was oversubscribed, can now access the additional funding announced today.
“Drip feeding the Drought Support Fund is not helping our local farmers. They are being unfairly penalised by the State Government’s slow response to provide meaningful assistance in drought affected areas.
“This funding would have made a real difference to struggling farmers if it had of been delivered with the original drought funding announcement tin October last year,” she said.
For further information on the program guidelines, including eligibility criteria visit www.agriculture.vic.gov.au/drought.
Together we can make a difference
Help build a better LowanVolunteer