Community facilities | February 19, 2016
Waiting increases for public housing
Recently-released figures show more people are waiting for public housing in the Horsham region under the Andrews Labor Government.
Nationals Member for Lowan Emma Kealy said quarterly housing figures showed Horsham’s waiting list had risen by 49 people between March and December last year, to reach a total of 283 people.
“The public housing waiting list blew out when Labor were last in government and I am concerned that it’s going to happen again,” Ms Kealy said.
“Given the Andrews Labor Government has wasted $1.1 billion to not build the East West Link and is spending $300,000 a day for replacement buses during the V/Line crisis, it’s hard to see how they can afford to turn things around,” she said.
Shadow Minister for Housing Tim Bull said the 2015/16 Budget forecasted a net loss in public housing residences across the state, which would only force more people onto the waiting list.
“While over the border NSW has just announced a $1.1 billion new Social and Affordable Housing Fund, here in Victoria the government has no clear strategy to combat homelessness,” Mr Bull said.
“Instead of sitting on his hands Premier Daniel Andrews should be looking at all options to reduce Victoria’s public housing waiting list, before it blows out even further,” he said.
Together we can make a difference
Help build a better LowanVolunteer