media releases | April 10, 2019
Federal Liberal Nationals delivering for western Victoria
The Nationals Member for Lowan Emma Kealy believes the Federal Budget has delivered critical funding investments that will provide major benefits for all western Victorian residents.
“The Federal Liberal Nationals Coalition is delivering for western Victoria where the Andrews Labor Government has failed,” Ms Kealy said.
“The Federal budget includes a number of key investments that will directly benefit western Victoria including $360 million to duplicate the Western Highway between Stawell and Ararat, with a further $60 million for works between Stawell and the SA border.
“The Western Highway is part of the major freight route between Adelaide and Melbourne, so these upgrades will better link grain, timber, horticulture and livestock producers with domestic and international export markets.
“On top of this, Regional Victoria will share in a $500 million boost to Roads to Recovery – a critical funding stream in Victoria after Daniel Andrews axed the state’s $160 million Country Roads and Bridges Program.
“An additional $200 million for the Black Spot Program will help make our crumbling country roads safer, repairing dangerous sections of road that have been neglected because Daniel Andrews won’t invest a cent past Melbourne’s tram tracks.”
Other key investments that will benefit western Victoria include:
- $160 million for Rounds 5 and 6 of the Mobile Black Spot Program
- $60 million for a new Regional Connectivity Program to improve mobile and broadband services across regional and remote Australia
- More than $62 million for the National Rural Generalist Pathway to deliver more rural doctors
- Immediate tax relief for low and middle-income earners of up to $1,080 for singles and $2,160 for dual income families
- Increasing the instant asset write-off threshold to $30,000 for small and medium sized businesses
- $453.1 million to extend access to 15 hours of quality preschool a week in the year before school, benefiting over 100,000 children who live in regional Australia
“Daniel Andrews likes to claim he governs for all Victorians but it is the Liberal Nationals who continue to deliver for our regional communities,” Ms Kealy said.
“Actions speak louder than words and it’s the Liberal Nationals who have been acting, delivering increased funding year on year while Daniel Andrews continues to blindly push a Melbourne-centric agenda and ignores country communities.”
Together we can make a difference
Help build a better LowanVolunteer